Tuesday 24 July 2012

Walking Solo Playlist - Fists Buried in Pockets.

I was talking to my brother in law the other day about making a playlist of songs I could listen to while walking around Montreal. He immediately suggested a song to me. Now, him and I have stark differences in taste when it comes to music. He's more into energetic punk rock/heavy metal stuff and I'm more into mellow electro/hip hop sounds. But, the song he made me listen to really got to me. It's the song Fists buried in pockets by the very indie punk rock band from Richmond Virginia, The Riot Before. These guys don't even have a Wikipedia article! Sadly, I think the band broke up last November and they haven't released any more albums. That's too bad. I'm not really the indie rock type, but this band was probably one of the few I actually like.

I started walking around about three months ago to ease the pain from a recent heartbreak. I was in deep sorrow and I couldn't stand in place without the memories of my past relationship filling my head, so I walked, for hours on end, to keep my mind focused on sights and places around the city. The lyrics of Fists Buried in Pockets reached out to me in these grief-filled times of my life, because they pretty much expressed how I felt. So, I thought I'd share them with you.

The Riot Before - Fists Buried in Pockets


The venue is filled floor to ceiling with smoke
So tonight I'm walking these streets all alone
Fists buried in pockets, clenched against the persisting cold


High overhead the brightly lit billboards are advertising
Things that I can't afford
Like luxury watches, new cars and hospitals


I'm sick to my stomach with this deep fear of death
That heaven's not coming Ive learned to accept
Slowly breathe this cold air in my lungs and I circulate it


Freezing wind blowing glass in my eyes
Seems hellbent on making me deny
That I won't lead a palindrome life
Slowly exhale
Warm air 
Then I watch it rise
So I lengthen my stride


Of course, I kept on walking up until now because it was a good exercise and I discovered lots of cool stuff. I explored new areas of Montreal and rediscovered places where I never really stopped to smell the flowers and look at the beautiful sights it had to offer. I started taking pictures and wanted to share my discoveries and that's how this blog started.

No comments:

Post a Comment